Last updated: August 29. 2014 9:02AM - 170 Views
By - awigger@civitasmedia.com - 803-276-0625

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

Moving to a new town, always means more responsibility and headaches. For the past month, I have been staying with my friend (and landlord) Hunter Doolittle, due to my house not being ready to live in. During the past month Hunter and I, mainly Hunter, have been dealing with the joys of getting my house move in ready. The two hardest aspects were getting the water turned on and the air conditioning fixed.

Apparently, when a house has been sitting idle for almost a decade, things end up not working properly.

The first hurdle was the water, I am not 100 percent sure what all needed to be done to get this fixed, but I do know that there is a hole next to my house to make sure the pipes will not leak. However, besides the hole, the water is on and working at its Joanna best.

With that done, the next part was getting the air working. As it turns out the unit needed to be replaced, again do to the idleness, but Hunter got that fixed as well, and now only slightly mocks me for the repairs.

Now, I can tell what most of you are thinking, “Andrew, this does not seem like you had to do anything, seems like your landlord did all the heavy lifting.” Well, you are right. At the beginning stages of the house, I just sat back and watched, but I knew my time would come, and it did.

Beginning this week, I was officially allowed to move in, and I was 100 percent on my own. But I never knew how complicated making a house yours, and being on your own, would be. I began to transfer things in my name, and setting up for installations of television and internet.

Well, I never realized to get a utility transferred to your name would cost money. Right now my father is turning in his grave because I did not know that. To make matters worse, when you live in a small community, things like water or electricity are based in a bigger town.

So, after a slight freak out, I picked myself up and started making calls and sending emails, and as it turned out, it was a very simple process. I did not have to travel to another town. I was able to complete all the proper verification and paperwork through email with the help of a scanner, and everyone I have dealt with, in both water and electricity, have been helpful and pleasant.

With that being done, the next step was to get the installations complete.

During my month in Joanna, I had received many ads from one internet company about their affordable and amazing service, so naturally I got in touch with them and looked into it, and was about to pull the trigger on working with that company.

However, both my mother (Dianne) and my sister (Elizabeth) believed what I was going to pay was way too high, so they urged me to call another company and just get a quote, so I did. Well, I rarely say this, but they were right. The quote I received was half the price of what I would have paid with the other company.

Not only will I save money, but I am receiving more benefits than I ever would have if I stuck with the first company. But there was one problem that came about with the installation.

As it turns out, getting Internet or satellite installed is a three- to four-hour process, so I devoted an entire afternoon to waiting on these guys, after a few reschedules mind you, but both installers were two of the nicest guys I have met. They did not try and push anything on me, nor did they try and say they could not install at my house. Both of them even gave me step by step instructions and details of how to use my new equipment.

All in all, I have to say being out on your own, while it does come with headaches, is actually a pretty easy process. Even though my world was turned inside out, I am making the house my home, and enjoying every minute of it.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Newberry Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com