• The Book Discussion Group of the Friends of the Newberry County Library meets at 4 p.m. at the Hal Kohn Memorial Library to choose books and leaders for the next year.
• Silverstreet Lutheran Church holds a 5K color run at 9 a.m. in support of the Ruth Pugh Foundation at Newberry County Disability and Special Needs. Registration forms are at www.silverstreetlutheranchurch.com. The registration deadline is Sept. 12. Call Lindsay Piersol at 803-940-6328 or April Bryant at 803-944-9118 for more information.
• The Newberry County Humane Society assists the Newberry County Animal Shelter with an Adopt-A-Thon from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Tractor Supply in Newberry.
• Compassion and Choices SC hosts Are you Good to Go? Your End of Life Healthcare Choices at 10:30 a.m. at Springfield Place, 2000 Springfield Circle in Newberry. Doug Rice is the presenter.
• The Newberry Business Alliance hosts a 2016 Candidate Forum at 5:30 p.m. at the Newberry Opera House. The forum will begin at 6 p.m. Candidates for state and local offices are invited.
Out & About items can be submitted in writing to 1716 Main St., Newberry, S.C. 29108; in person at 1716 Main St.; via fax to 803-276-1517; or via email at NBOnews@civitasmedia.com. Call 803-276-0625 for more information. Items run on a space-available basis.